1. When asked to choose between two of something, he always points to you and says, "whichever one she doesn't want."
2. The kids say, "When's Daddy coming home?" excitedly and a lot.
3. His Bible is falling apart.
4. He teaches the kids you are really a princess, but gave up the throne to be a commoner.
5. He brings you your morning coffee in a Santa/ Snoopy/ Grizzly Bear/ LEGO mug because he knows even though you need a hit of caffeine and have thunder in your eyes, you are really a kid inside.
6. You know he'll open a can of whoopass on anyone who tries to hurt his family, but he never has to because his eyes say, Don't you dare.
7. He makes up words.
8. He makes up stories.
9. His made up stories feature talking monkies who are really revolutionary princes with spells on them and old Thai men who smoke opium.
10. He forgave you for calling him "useless" when you were in labor.
11. He held your hand and read poetry to you while the doctors made you endure unspeakably painful and scary tests.
12. His nose likes to be in a book, not other people's business.
13. When you ask him if you ever snore, he giggles and says, "No, I'd say it's more like you breathe raspy and beautiful music."
14. When you ask him if you smell, he says, "Like a meadow!"
15. Christmas makes his eyes twinkly.
16. Injustice makes him pace the floor.
17. Selfishness makes his stomach sick.
18. Dogs follow him.
19. Children want to crawl into his lap.
20. He looks as handsome in a threadbare workshort and paint spattered pants as he does in a tuxedo, but he doesn't believe you when you tell him.
21. When you talk to him, the rest of the world disappears.
22. He never looks at the clock when he is with loved ones or friends.
23. He'd rather give than get.
24. When you say, "Sing Twinkle twinkle Little Star in the style of a heavy metal rock ballad!" he instantly does, and it's good.
25. Music moves him.
26. He chats over the fence with the neighbors--and they love him.
27. He plows everyone on the street out in a snowstorm, as far as the gas in the blower will go, in the cold wee hours of the morning, while the neighbors sleep in their warm beds or drink hot cocoa. Just because.
28. He thinks you are a genius, even when you can't remember what day it is.
29. He never hogs the remote because he always wants to watch the same thing as you.
30. The dogs follow him like the Pied Piper, and lie at his feet as though he were a king.
31. When the shit hits the fan, he gets up, cleans the fan, and starts building a shit guard around you.
32. He says he misses your mom, even though he never met her before she died.
33. Your father loved him like a son.
34. Your guy friends love him like a brother.
35. His shoulder is the most valuable piece of real estate in the whole world, and it is where you get to rest your head.
36. His voice is like medicine. They should bottle it as a painkiller.
37. His plans and dreams are huge, and he never gives them up.
38. He remembers exactly who you are beneath your terrible illness, and he constantly reminds you so you don't forget either.
39. The world wouldn't be the same without him--he refuses to let it be.