Now, you all know I love the Fair--and who doesn't? Where else can you go to shamelessly stuff yourself on cuisine with virtually no food value while watching a hog-calling competition and carrying around the new "Holy Toast" image of Mary French toast bread stamp you just bought under the Grandstand? What other giant yearly party lasts 12 days and is an experience you have fond memories of sharing at some point in your life with nearly every family member, friend, co-worker, boyfriend/girfriend, or 4H prized baby hog you've ever had? Hmmm? Nirvana! On a stick!
Top 10 things I love about the MN State Fair:
1. No other event this fun offers a free printed "guide to agricultural terms." That's just classy. MN Nice!
2. What other venue still features "Weird Al" on it's main stage, hmmm? MN's got talent (oh, plus the Leinenkugel amateur talent show, too!)!
3. Roo with a dripping butter and corn niblet goatee; Toe with Martha's melted chocolate chip cookie freckles all over his face.
4. Grannies with their prize-winning quilts, pickles, jams, african vilolets, and portraits of the Last Supper made out of seeds.
5. Secret meetings with the cackle of rads at the DFL booth.
6. Becoming kitchen gadgetech savvy "Under-the-Grandstand:" QuikChop, Sham-Wows, Port-a-Pint folding beer glass, Pizza Boss 300, Beetle Sporks and Picnic Table Condiment Sets, etc.
7. A Prairie Home Companion, live, under the stars, among a sea of MN grown folk (a brief moment of harmony amongst the nordic tribes).
8. Smiling, excited 4H boys and girls showing off all their prize-winning hard work (farmer's daughter).
9. Trans-fat and copious amounts of sodium, all without guilt (don't judge me).
10. The inevitable uttering of the phrase, "Remember when..."